This week on Standard Deviations with Dr. Daniel Crosby, Dr. Crosby is joined by Amanda Clayman.
Amanda Clayman is widely recognized as a leader in the field of financial therapy. Her approach as a clinician is to decode how thoughts, feelings, and associations shape our financial choices, and identify how those patterns both serve and limit us.
Her consulting clients and public speaking audiences have included numerous corporations, non-profit organizations, and financial services firms including SoFi, New York Foundation for the Arts, Barnard College, and the Financial Therapy Association Conference. She is a LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) author of several financial wellness courses, and the financial wellness expert for SheKnows media, where she writes a financial therapy advice column.
Her work has been featured in such media outlets as CNBC, Fox News, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, REAL SIMPLE, and Forbes.
Amanda’s passion for financial wellness began with a dramatic styling mishap, which she writes about in The $19,000 Haircut.
Tune in to hear:
– What is Amanda’s story about her “$19k haircut” and how did it lead her down the path she’s on today?
– How did Amanda’s parents react to her financial situation when she finally decided to disclose it? Did this transform their relationship much?
– Amanda thinks that all financial problems should be approached with two premises in mind. What are these and how did she settle on them?
– What are family money scripts and what four pillars of family money scripts does Amanda set forth?
– Once someone has an awareness of their money script, where do they go next?
– Has Amanda noticed patterns, correlated with geography or occupation, in the way that people think about and behave in regard to money?
Ad Compliance Code: 2120-OPS-8/2/2023
ABOUT STANDARD DEVIATIONS PODCAST:
Educated at Brigham Young and Emory Universities, Dr. Daniel Crosby, the personality behind STANDARD DEVIATIONS podcast, is a psychologist and behavioral finance expert who helps organizations understand the intersection of mind and markets.
Dr. Crosby’s first book, Personal Benchmark: Integrating Behavioral Finance and Investment Management, was a New York Times bestseller. His second book, The Laws of Wealth, was named the best investment book of 2017 by the Axiom Business Book Awards and has been translated into Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and German. His latest work, The Behavioral Investor, is an in-depth look at how sociology, psychology and neurology all impact investment decision-making.